Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology of the Mendel University in Brno (FFWT MENDELU)
is one of the major institutions of university teaching, research and expert activities in forestry, landscaping, arboriculture, forest and wood technology, processing and use of wood and furniture making in the Czech Republic. Our mission is to carry out free educational, research, creative and awareness-rising activities supporting relations of general public to landscape, forests, wood and interior with an emphasis on ecology and aesthetics. Our Faculty is a part of the Mendel University in Brno, a public university, tradition of which stretches back to 1919.
Brno is a university city; there are one state university, five public universities with twenty seven faculties and six private universities in Brno. There are more than 80 thousand students here.
Thanks to its ideal location in the center of Europe Brno is a very popular destination and center of science, research, innovation and also study.
Mission of the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology of the Mendel University in Brno is in particular:
- free education and creative activities in all areas of, forestry, landscaping, wood technology, wood-based constructions and furniture making;
- education in accredited programs – in all stages and forms of university study; main specialization in forestry is production ecology in ecosystem conception, in wood technology and furniture making it is development of wood-based materials, products and technologies, including energetics, in landscaping the main specialization is landscape management as an instrument ensuring balance of cultural landscape (forest) at concurrent exploitation of in particular renewable resources;
- to conduct research in the mentioned fields focusing on production and stability of forest ecosystems, processing and use of wood and other renewable natural resources, when production stability in the balanced landscape is maintained at the same time;
- to act as a cultural and awareness-rising institution in relations of general public to forest, wood and wood products, landscape and usability of renewable resources, aesthetic sensitivity, and management ethics.
We support sustainable development of society by research and education
- sustainable forest management preserving all the forest functions – ecological, economic and social
- sensitive approach to landscape and its use
- use of wood as a unique renewable raw material
- use of wood and wood-based materials when creating healthy and energy-efficient residential environment
We follow the latest trends
- financing of projects within operational programs of the European Union
- establishment of cooperation with application sector
- intensive cooperation with foreign universities
- study in English
- involvement of the Faculty activities in technology platforms, clusters, etc.
- linking of research within environment networking
- students' option to set up their courses
We produce quality graduates
Teaching objective of FFWT MENDELU is to groom students on adequate professional, cultural, ethical and social level, so that they were able to solve conceptual issues creatively and adapt themselves to requirements of practice.
We have laboratories and also 10,000 hectares of forest
Irreplaceable background for faculty research is formed by forest covers and related facilities of the Training Forest Enterprise Masaryk Forest Křtiny of the area of more than 10,000 hectares. The Training Forest Enterprise Masaryk Forest Křtiny has among others a long tradition of development of aesthetic and recreational function of forest. Its part is the Forest Pantheon – set of memorials commemorating outstanding Czech foresters.